Wednesday, July 25, 2012

There's an app for that!

                Realizing that every child with autism has a journey to travel unique to them was a hard to digest. This essentially meant that there is no text book one size fits all answer to the struggles that we were to face. I went on a mission to try to find as many resources that could help him find his way through life in the most comfortable way. I have quickly learned that this is done strictly by trail and error. In the past few months alone I promise we have found those errors along the way but I am very happy to say that I believe we found apart of Mannys gold mine. The iPad! I had heard that there were some apps geared toward autistic children; honestly i didnt know weather to jump on it or not. So I did what I do with most anything else I got on google and did some homework on it. And to my surprise it was factual and backed with studies. So I began with just trying the apps one by one and oh boy his  world opened up in so many ways. I was so excited. It was like I began to see light at the end of the tunnel. We started with an alphabet writing game. And he would just look at me trace the letters with my finger and his brother do the same and for several weeks did not want to even touch it, but then today he pulled for the iPad and began to do it. I just started to cry. I was just so overjoyed that he was doing it. And not just doing it but by himself. And he got through "K" and said No and pushed it away. And to be honest I was excited as if he had done the whole alphabet. I tell you autism has really gotten me to a point where i stop and Thank God for the small things in life. It has humbled me and help me notice the things I would have normally taken for granite . I'm so proud of manny I can't stand it..

No comments:

Post a Comment